Friday, July 22, 2011

Caramel "Crack" Corn

Well I thought I would start with the recipe that gets the most use in my kitchen. I make caramel corn quite a bit due to the fact that my co-workers request it on a daily basis :). Nothing like a good dose of sugar on the night shift around 3a.m. (if it makes it that long). When I get to work at 7p.m., if i put it in the break room, it might make it till 8 or 9p.m. if we are lucky.

The history behind this recipe was I always remember my mom making caramel corn and she always made it in the oven and had to stir it often. I was unable to get my mom's recipe so I just did a google search and chose the first one I found that I had to bake. I would give credit to the site that I found it but it's been probably 2 years since I found it and have no idea where I found it at.

I hope that you find this caramel 'crack' corn as delicious as my friends, family and I do. Please give feedback!

Caramel Crack Corn
1 roaster pan full of air popped popcorn
1 jar of peanuts (optional)

1 c. butter
2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. Karo syrup
1/2 tsp baking soda

Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Fill a roaster pan with popcorn. Mix peanuts if desired at this time. Melt butter, brown sugar and Karo syrup together and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Add baking soda. Pour over popcorn and stir till popcorn is evenly covered with the caramel. Bake popcorn for one hour; stirring every 15 minutes. After one hour, remove popcorn from roaster pan immediately as it comes out easier. If you let the popcorn sit, it will be a HUGE hassle to get out of the pan.




If you find yourself out of Karo Syrup, as I did once after getting everything popped and the butter melting on the stove, you may try using 1/4 c. Karo Syrup and 1/4 maple syrup. It gives it a different flavor that was complimented on by many. It's never to late to be spontaneous and experimental in the kitchen. That's when the best recipes are found (as long as you remember what you did :))

Enjoy and don't forget to leave feedback!

No comments:

Post a Comment